Time Capsule Opening – Treasures from 1916

Members of the Burlington Historical Society, library and city officials gathered Saturday June 25th to officially open and reveal the contents of the “time capsule” stored in a cornerstone cemented into the historic Burlington Carnegie library building (see image below).  The local newspaper of the day described the ceremony of a century ago. [Click here for slide show of the process and event]

Under [within] the cornerstone the following articles of more or less historic community value were deposited in a sealed jappaned box, These documents were placed in a japanned tin box, in large manila envelopes that were heavily coated with paraffine (sic) wax.”

“Burlington Library Cornerstone is laid” The Journal, Burlington Washington June 2, 1916
1. Two copies of the Burlington Journal
2. Two copies of the [Skagit County] Informer  [so far there is only one reference to another copy (microfilmed) of the Skagit County Informer held at the Washington State Library – however we have not yet checked with the Skagit Museum]
3. Copy of the Burlington Journal containing the library ordinances
4. History of library and reading rooms
5. History of new library activities in getting money for founding Carnegie library
6. Year book of the Alpha Club
7. Yearbook of the Monday Civic Club
8. Ordinance establishing Library Board
9. List of city and school district officers

These items will be on display soon at the library temporarily and viewable on our Hub History page.

TinBox

Facebooktwitterpinterestmail
rss

Leave a Comment

Filed under Burlington, Historic Preservation, History, Libraries

Comments are closed.